Deep Space Antenna | DIY Kit
The Indian Deep Space Network (IDSN), commissioned during the year 2008, at Byalalu village near Bengaluru, forms the Ground segment for providing deep space support for India’s Space Science Missions like Lunar mission-Chandrayaan-1, Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) etc., Indian Space Science Data Centre (ISSDC), located at the IDSN campus, is the primary data centre for data archives of Indian Space Science Missions.
The IDSN complex comprises Deep Space Antennas of 18 m and 32 m capable of supporting interplanetary missions. It also houses an 11 m antenna facility to support earth bound scientific missions. The 32 m fully steerable antenna (DSN32) with beam wave-guide, operating in S and X-band and 18 m fully steerable antenna offer excellent facilities for supporting International Deep Space Missions. The 32 m antenna was indigenously realised with the collaboration of ECIL, Hyderabad, BARC, Mumbai and other Indian Industries. DSN32 consists of a Servo system for precise antenna pointing and tracking with a speed as low as 0.1 milli-deg/sec. The cryogenically cooled low noise amplifier system of DSN32 makes it capable of receiving extremely weak signals from the satellite. The timing system of the antenna consists of an active Hydrogen maser for a highly accurate and stable clock.
Our DIY kit made of 3mm/5mm Beech Wood Ply is an ode to this Deep Space Network of ISRO. Have fun making this while putting it together and check out the movement of the antenna dish on 2 axis!
DEEP SCPACE ANTENNA SCALE MODEL - DO IT YOURSELF ACTIVITY KIT: This DIY model is a model of the Deep Space Antenna, with each piece crafted meticulously and aesthetically.
THE KIT INCLUDES -
- A Birch Plywood Sheet with Precise Laser Cutting Components (Can be pressed-out from the flat sheet to complete a fantastic 3-D model)
- 5 Wooden Sticks (including 4 long and 1 short stock)
- 3 Metal Screws
- 1 Wooden dome-shaped top
- A Metal Tweezer with pointed tips for grasping small parts
- 1 Glue for fixing the parts
- A piece of sand paper to scrap out the uneven surface of the model
- A Detailed Step-by-Step Deep Space Antenna Model Assembly Manual
- A Story Card
- HANDS ON LEARNING DIY KIT: It provides an active way of learning all about the stages of a Deep Space Antenna and its functions! It is created to help kids+adults put together their own Deep Space Antenna.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Grooves hold the parts of the aircraft together. Kids learn to snap fit parts of the Deep Space Antenna model and create their own antenna.
- DURABLE & HANDCRAFTED BY THE ARTISANS OF INDIA: The model is made of birch wood ply by the artisans of Mysore, India. The item is eco-friendly and sustainable.
- MADE WITH GREAT ATTENTION TO QUALITY and SAFETY: The Birch Plywood rocket model doesn’t have sharp edges and light weight so that kids can handle them easily. The material is hard, smooth with durable surface and superior resistance against humidity
- Can be used as a gift, show piece or collectible as well.