Deccan Queen | Lonavala Chikki | TShirt
Proudly wear this Deccan Queen | Lonavala Chikki | TShirt. This t-shirt is a tribute to our favorite food memory from the Lonavala railway station halt by Deccan Queen.
Onboard the Deccan Queen, travelers always wait for the early halt at Lonavala where they can grab some local delights in terms of Chikki - a truly Indian innovation from the 19th Century. Lonavala-chikki is closely associated with an Indian Railways journey. Innovation of Lonavala Chikki helped build railroads in India.
The tale dates back to the British Raj, when the Empire recruited workers in Maharashtra to build a railway line to connect erstwhile Bombay to its closest hill station, Lonavala. Since laying tracks across mountains was a tedious job, a sweet shop owner named Maganlal Aggarwal in Lonavala decided to make them a cheap, high-calorie snack. That is when he invented the Gud Dani, a mixture of peanuts, melted jaggery and ghee, which is also known as Chikki. Like energy bars, these were distributed to the workers and were a hit among them. Once the project was completed, the chikkis traveled along with workers as it was a convenient snack for the journey. Seeing a business opportunity, the railway authorities commissioned Maganlal Aggarwal to prepare chikki and sell them to travelers between Mumbai and Lonavala.
- Your everyday smooth, comfy tee, a wardrobe staple
- Professionally screen printed Tshirt
- 200 gsm premium cotton fabric for the flowy feel
Type: Casual; Collar Style: Classic Collar, short sleeves
- Colour: White
- Perfect gift for a rail enthusiast or anyone interested in the history of the railways.
- Perfect as a traveler's gift for the one who is fascinated by the romance that the Indian Railways can weave around us.
- Wash dark colours separately
Check out our Unique INDIAN RAILWAYS | Deccan Queen Collection.